Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Heads we win--Tails we lose


"The Creator made us with two ends.
One on which to sit,
the other with which to think.
Our success depends on which one we use the most.
Heads we win.
Tails we lose."

This quote is from, of all places, an old Dagwood and Blondie movie. I thought it was amazingly profound. In the movie it is the smart-alec neighbor kid who gives Dagwood this advice. The movie is filled with crazy, slap-stick antics and then out of the blue comes this little verse that I thought was great advice to live by. It sort of blew me away. I stopped the movie and jotted it down. I have been mulling the words over in my head for the last few days, and they really are true.
God does give us a choice. Whether we are facing a problem, or just walking through our everyday lives, we can sit, worry, and stew, or we can think about the best way to handle things, and get at it.

The quilt blocks to me are really an example of "heads we win." The light colored fabric is something called "feed sack prints." It is vintage fabric from around the 1930s. Back then things like flour, sugar, and chicken feed were sold in fabric bags. Industrious housewives would use these fabric bags to sew clothing and house hold items for their families. My mom remembers, as a young girl, being sent to the the feed store with her dad to pick out the "right" prints in the bags of chicken feed. Mom had two sisters; grandma would sew clothes for the three little girls from these bags. This is not an unusual story. I have read of many people who remember wearing clothes made out of feed sacks. The prints are so cute. I have a little stack of 6 inch squares. I am really enjoying looking at them as I cut the pieces I need for each block.

During the depression people used what they had to get by. There was a saying, " use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." I get a little light headed when I think of the norm for today's standard of living as compared to the the norm of the 1930s. Many of my generation have rolled our eyes a time or two at the thriftiness of the children of the depression era. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge. Those thrifty ways are economically and environmentally sound. ~heads we win~

Have a marvelous day,
a very striped girl,
DAT



No comments: