Sunday, November 9, 2008

Don't Blink

There is a poem about little boys growing up too fast, and the last line says, "Little boys grow up when you're not looking." I just want to say, it is true!
 Our "baby" is a Senior in high school and we aren't seeing much of him these days. He has a group of friends that he hangs with that  seem to travel in a pack. When he is home, he is usually accompanied by the pack. 
So far this year he hasn't been too annoying. I really believe that kids need to be 'yuks' in their last year of high school. This prepares parents for the job of shooing them out of the nest. It is all part of God's perfect plan.
 
We had a special opportunity this weekend that has me lamenting the parenting job.
We kept our friend's children, ages 3 and 5 over night. We call the two little boys No No, (their names both start with No), No No is just easier. This experience reminded me of what it is like to prepare young children and yourself for church on Sunday morning. God Bless young parents for making the effort to get to church with their little ones. It took both The Engineer and I to get them up, fed and dressed; shoes, coats, mittens on; and loaded into the van. I couldn't figure out why my own coat wouldn't zip up when I realized that I had it on inside out. 
I also remembered the lack of privacy that comes with having young children in the house, when NoNo age 3, followed me into the bathroom each time I went. 
Having little ones around reminds me of how fast child rearing really does go by. When they are little it seems like they will be dependent on you forever and then you blink and they are grown up. I know it is probably annoying, especially in the grocery store, but I always feel compelled to express to parents how fast it really does go. People said that to me, and I thought "yah sure, whatever." Standing on this side of the fence I see that it is so true. 
I guess I hope to encourage moms and dads to enjoy your little ones, I know it is hard when there are so many things to do. Be grateful for each day God gives you with your children. They truly are a gift.
Ralph Waldo Emerson in regards to success: 
To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition...
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

a very striped girl,
DAT

No comments: